In 2017, John F. Smith, III, began donating his extensive collection of maps to Falvey Memorial Library. The John F. Smith, III and Susan B. Smith Antique Map Collection is now in the care of the library’s Distinctive Collections and Digital Engagement department.
This website, “Projecting the World: An Audio Tour of the John F. Smith, III and Susan B. Smith Antique Map Collection,” displays digitized versions of the maps along with Mr. Smith’s audio commentary about their significance.
Information about individual holdings is available through the library’s catalog. Items are available for viewing in the Rare Book Room by appointment and many have also been digitized and made available to a wider audience in the Digital Library. Recording of Mr. Smith’s commentary and the digitization of the collection are ongoing.
- Laura Bang (Distinctive Collections Librarian), executive producer
- Gabriella Bernocco (student assistant), editor and producer
- Rebecca Oviedo (Distinctive Collections Librarian/Archivist), recording assistance
Site Design & Graphics
- Joanne Quinn (Director of Communications & Marketing), graphics
- David Uspal (Library Technology Developer), site design
Description and Digitization
- Laura Bang (Distinctive Collections Librarian), cataloging, digitization, and metadata
- Michael Foight (Director of Distinctive Collections and Digital Engagement), metadata
- Keith M. Mathews (student assistant), transcriptions
- Taras Ortynsky (former Description Services Librarian), cataloging
- Rebecca Oviedo (Distinctive Collections Librarian/Archivist), digitization and metadata